Saturday 19 January 2013

quick mini sort of evaluative thing

As you will be aware from my initial plotline and ideas, I was planning to film the wedding, and probably the majority of my short film, outside in the snow. We had a small amount of snow (a slight icy frosting) at the beginning of December but it didn't really have the 'look' that I wanted so I waited in the hope that we'd suddenly have a mass of snow either before or after Christmas. Funnily enough, we have had plenty of snow over the past week - typically though, the snow fell a week after I had completed all of the filming and editing for my product. I thought I should take advantage of the snow and to just take some photos demonstrating why snow isn't the easiest to work with. 
When I first placed the mannequin in the snow , it fell straight over (See below images), this seemed to be some kind of sign that attempting to film in this environment wasn't really going to work. 
Problems: -
Lighting - the snow has a set sort of feel/ambience and there's not much that can be done regarding lighting.
Focus - despite being good in other circumstances, my camera initially struggled to focus with regard to the brightness of the snow.
Lack of continuity - unlike sand which can be moved quite easily, the snow is quite crisp and leaves imprints which are too large. Therefore uneffective in stop motion.
Practical reasons - snow gets dirty, the characters get wet and it's quite unpredictable in terms of melting, or snowing more.




No comments:

Post a Comment